Thursday, February 23, 2006

2/23/06

I really should be grading papers right now, but I just had to write a quick post.

We had a short, but very sweet dinner at home this evening. Kristen, Jason, Kristen's Mom, and Ellen's mom, Judy came over for an early dinner before going to a school arts program that our and Kristen's kids were in. My dad, who is visiting from California, was here as well. We ate pizza and salad, and had a couple of bottles of tasty, if not exceptional wine.

The food was not particularly noteworthy, though it was quite pleasant, but the dinner was so nice. The main reason I started writing this blog is that I really enjoy the fact that we have been having visitors in for dinner so much more often lately. On the subject I have to include a bit more from Pomiane:

To prepare a dinner for a friend is to put into the cooking pot all one's affection and good will, all one's gaiety and zest, so that after three hours' cooking a waft of happiness escapes from beneath the lid.

Whatever a host [who loves to have his friends to dinner] offers to his guests, I am sure that it will be good, because he will have enjoyed the anticipation of it for a week beforehand and he will feel this same joy for a week afterwards in his pleasure at having charmed his guest.

4 Comments:

Blogger 'Thought & Humor' said...

.
Seen in a cafeteria :

Shoes are required to eat
in the cafeteria. Socks can
eat any place they want.



A shrimp sole my girl; I lobster
and haven't flounder!



A note left for a pianist from
his wife: Gone Chopin, have
Liszt, Bach in a Minuet.

9:38 PM  
Blogger x. said...

in that case, how does next wednesday sound?

i'll bring the wine...

x.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous ktincu said...

Meals at Ellen and Gabriel's house are one of my life's greatest pleasures, and not just because they are hosted by such creative and talented cooks. Even when the meals are short, simple, hectic, pot-luck, or even at times on paper plates, they are always about what really matters: good friends nourishing one another with food and laughter and conversation. What could make a life more rich?

10:00 PM  
Blogger Lynndi said...

Guess what I did tonight?
I made my very own salad! And no one's had to go to the hospital yet!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home